It's not always easy to put a project into words. Especially since it's something that's not been done around these parts, and earlier attempts to make something similar have been met with some resistance, and have not been done so far.
Basically, Terra Nova is a new LARP which I'm starting this year. It will start with a feast-style introductory event (at my home) and continue at the main camping event in June (which should be scheduled soon).
There's plenty of new stuff (at least for our players) it will include, and I've listed only some of those here:
- It will be the first modern euro-style fantasy LARP ran in Croatia.
- It will not be based on Amtgard ruleset, instead it will be based under ConQuest ruleset (used under permission, currently under translation).
- Different fighting style than usual Amtgard-based Croatian LARPs: less sporty, more RP elements included.
- Single life, and death is final.
- Increased realism and RP elements in all aspects of the game.
- Flexible, customizable, classless character generation.
- Well developed non-magical healing and alchemy system for those who want to try something new.
- Latex and Calimacil weapons not only legal but preferred.
- Separate gaming world and characters from other Croatian LARPs (considering it's not a compatible ruleset even by a long shot).
- Different approach to NPCs - and large percentage of them.
- A strong storyline.
The website is up: http://terranova.crolarper.com/ - it will get updated with time. It's bilingual from start - Croatian/English. There's a forum/discussion group there you might wish to sign on, and of course you can post either in Croatian or English if you have any questions. And if you're planning to come, sign up at http://terranovalarp2012i.eventbrite.com/ for a ticket (either free or donation ticket will do just fine).
It is my hope that Terra Nova series of LARPs will enrich Croatian LARP scene, bringing new elements and ideas to other LARPs currently running. While not everyone will prefer its rules system to the Amtgard ruleset, I also hope it might draw in new players into the hobby, especially the people who wouldn't otherwise be interested in Amtgard-style LARP like ones which are running now, expanding the reach of Croatian LARP and enriching it. That's one of the reasons for the LARP's name. Terra Nova. Latin for New Earth, or New Land - part of the meaning is symbolical, symbolizing both this very idea and the fact that the game and characters are starting fresh, from scratch, without 15 years of legacy storyline in the background.
The other reason for its name is the storyline, which will involve exploration of an unknown and newly discovered continent. More about event background will be published soon.